Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Steampunk Style: Arctic Explorer

I don't know about where you live, but here at my house it's COLD!!! All of the weathermen are talking about all this "Arctic air" that's blowing through, and it certainly feels arctic outside, so naturally I got to thinking about the idea of a steampunk arctic explorer. Here are the results. Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Along the creek near my house, there's a limestone wall with tiny little springs coming out of it. During the winter, the springs freeze and keep building up until spring, so just a few weeks into winter they already look like a giant frozen waterfall. What better place for the photo shoot?

 An expedition photo...for posterity.


 Jotting down a few observations, like any good explorer would.

And of course, checking the map and coordinates.

This outfit was a ton of fun to put together--leather trench coat, lots of scarves, newsboy cap, Swiss motorcycle goggles (an awesome Christmas gift from my amazing brothers!), the usual assortments of belts, buckles, and boots, great-grandpa's revolver, messenger bag (another awesome gift, this one from Mom)...and of course, I just couldn't resist adding the rose corsage.

Nor could I resist the opportunity to take a serious moment and pay tribute to Ernest Shackleton and his men, and their truly epic journey to the South Pole. Seriously--hats off to all of them. I actually drew quite a bit of my inspiration for this outfit and photo shoot from pictures of their expedition, found in the book Endurance, by Alfred Lansing. Read it...but only in warm weather. You'll freeze otherwise.

 Of course, even intrepid explorers need to come back inside where it's warm and settle down to a cup of hot chocolate after their adventures.
 
 A good book is also a must...

...but then it's back to work, mapping out the next voyage and adventure!

Always take your adventures and explorations seriously...

 ...just not too seriously.
~*~*~*~
Hope you all enjoyed these! I had a ton of fun with this photo shoot, so I hope you have fun looking at the results. By the way, photo credit goes to my sister Karri; she's taking photography in high school, so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone, getting pictures taken and letting her practice her skills at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for contributing to The Facts of Steampunk Life! Your thoughts, ideas, and questions are welcome - but please, let's keep the steampunk life we all love clean, civil, and non-commercial. For in-depth questions or interview/review/feature requests, please use the contact form on the right.